Lecturer in Actuarial Science
£34,189 - £48,677 per annum (in addition, a market related supplement will also be payable to a qualified actuary)
The School of Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science (SMSAS) is offering full- and/or part-time posts as Lecturer in Actuarial Science (Teaching and Scholarship).
Are you a fully-qualified Actuary who is looking for a new opportunity to teach Actuarial Science to undergraduate and postgraduate level students? In this role you will be expected to make a significant contribution to teaching, scholarship and enterprise activities in SMSAS.
Those appointed will join the well-established Centre for Actuarial Science, Risk and Investment (CASRI), which is part of SMSAS. The Centre offers both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Actuarial Science, all accredited by the UK Actuarial Profession. In teaching, there is a strong emphasis on accreditation, leading to exemptions from professional examinations; most CASRI staff are qualified Actuaries.
As a Lecturer in Actuarial Science (T&S) you will:
- Deliver high quality undergraduate and postgraduate level teaching in Actuarial Science and related subjects
- Take part in the enterprise of activities of the School and undertake administrative duties
- Contribute to the development of new programmes and other activities
- Provide pastoral support to the students
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be a Fellow of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
- Be able to communicate effectively and relate to undergraduates, postgraduates and colleagues
- Be able to develop familiarity with various strategies to promote and assess learning
- Preferably have experience in Higher Education teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels covering as many possible areas relevant to Actuarial Science
SMSAS, with slight changes in name, has existed from the earliest days of the University of Kent and is part of the Faculty of Sciences within the University. It offers a number of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in Mathematics, Statistics and Actuarial Science.
The School values diversity and inclusivity, and was the first school at the University of Kent to obtain an Athena SWAN Bronze award to recognise the advancement of gender equality. It has since become the first school at the university to obtain an Athena SWAN Silver award. The School has recently moved to the purpose-built Sibson Building, which acts a place for interaction, collaboration and social exchange that strengthens the position of SMSAS as a leading provider of Higher Education programmes in Actuarial Science, Financial Mathematics, Mathematics, and Statistics.
For more information and to apply, please visit our website.