Barnett Waddingham is a partner-led business which prides itself in providing straightforward and well communicated pensions advice. This philosophy means that we are dependent on talented and well trained employees who enjoy working in a closely knit and friendly organisation. Our growth has been significant since our creation in 1989. We aim to continue this growth by recruiting people who share in Barnett Waddingham’s values.
Our services are designed to support trustees and employers by delivering pragmatic advice, which brings clarity to complex issues such as investing assets, de-risking, longevity, risk management and the impact of legislative changes. We undertake a range of services for clients including full-service actuarial consulting, investment consultancy and standalone projects such as mergers and acquisitions.
Barnet Waddingham is committed to providing the best possible service to all of its clients and to achieve this we need talented, motivated and enthusiastic people. We are looking for a Scheme Actuary to join our experienced team in providing consultancy services to a range of clients.
About the person
Finding the right person who shares our Barnett Waddingham values is paramount to us. This person will join an experienced team who have developed really strong relationships with their clients so we will be looking for a candidate who is passionate about their role and who will embrace the Barnett Waddingham way.
- You will be a qualified Scheme Actuary with a current Practising Certificate (PC).
- As this role will sit between our senior team and the more junior actuarial team (more recently qualified, or currently studying) we are looking for between 1 and 3 years’ Scheme experience since obtaining your PC.
- We’re looking for really strong and professional communicators as part of this role will involve giving talks and presentations to clients or stakeholders.
- At Barnett Waddingham, we believe in working as a team so we’re looking for demonstrable evidence that you work in this manner.
- Sound IT skills are essential – we use a number of systems, including bespoke so we’ll need you to be able to pick these up and work effectively.
- Enthusiasm and passion – we are looking for candidates who love their profession as much as we do.
About the role
The role typically reports to a Trustee/Corporate Consulting Associate or Partner and involves working closely with all team members. Responsibilities will typically fall mainly under the Trustee and Corporate Consulting Practice Areas, but can include others from time to time. You will be recognised by clients as an expert with the ability to solve complex problems.
Client Consulting Responsibilities
- Act as the main contact for a range of clients
- Design and management of surveys and statistical techniques in order to analyse and interpret quantitative data
- Employ a variety of techniques and theoretical principles to establish probability and risk in respect of areas such as pensions
- Manage a client team, ensure work is of a high quality and within agreed timescales
- Assist Partners in managing client relationships
- Provide advice to clients on how they might achieve their objectives while satisfying the requirements of relevant external parties (e.g. the Pensions Regulator)
- Check work of other team members, ensuring accuracy and compliance with scheme rules, procedures and legislation
- Often this role will include working toward/developing own portfolio of Scheme Actuary/Adviser appointments or Corporate appointments
- Identify ways that the firm (including other practice areas) can help our clients and report new initiatives to either the Trustee or Corporate Consulting Board
- Take a proactive approach in managing and developing marketing initiatives. developing and maintaining relationships with introducers and potential clients as well as identifying opportunities for new business. This might also include assisting in new business tenders.
Team Leader Responsibilities
- Some roles may entail team management responsibilities including monitoring chargeable hours, one-to-ones and personal development reviews, induction plans for new starters, acting as mentor and any other duties associated with line management.
What we offer
- The opportunity to work in an award-winning consultancy, which continues to grow and offer opportunities for individual career progression
- A competitive benefits package, which includes generous pension, discretionary annual bonus, 25 days annual leave with the ability to buy or sell days
- Modern offices with a smart approach to working where a healthy work to life balnce is encouraged