The BWCI Group was established in 1979 and is the largest firm of actuaries and consultants in the Channel Islands. It is owned by the BWCI Partnership and currently employs around 120 staff.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in a team providing advice to a diverse portfolio of clients. The role combines technical oversight with board level exposure and the scope to lead business development initiatives both locally and internationally. The right candidate will be ambitious and motivated, with the view to ultimately becoming a Partner within the BWCI Group.
The duties of this role include but are not limited to
- Being responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of the delivery of insurance consultancy services to our clients which are diverse and include life (re)insurers, general (re)insurance, captives and other entities requiring actuarial advice on a project. Our clients are based in Guernsey, Jersey, the Isle of Man, Malta, Gibraltar and the UK.
- Being an active member of the Insurance Development Group, which is the senior management team responsible for development of insurance services of the BWCI Group.
- Represent the firm professionally and effectively with clients and to maintain a high standard whether by phone, in writing or in person.
- Being responsible for the review and scrutiny of checked routine work.
- Assisting other members of the Insurance Actuarial team on technical matters for more complex projects or new clients and provide checking of calculations and reports.
- Providing input into insurance related projects and processes including development of new services and improvement of existing services.
- Being responsible for ensuring that appropriate computer systems or models are available for use within the Insurance Actuarial department.
- Assisting with the development and the training of the team, including carrying out appraisals and other management roles.
- Being active in maintaining a sound understanding of current insurance issues.
- Contributing insurance articles for publication in Bandwagon.
- Supporting the development of the actuarial insurance consultancy business including engaging with local industry bodies.
- Maintaining good relations with other departments.
Qualifications and Experience required:
- The successful candidate must be a Fellow of the Institute or Faculty of Actuaries (or equivalent qualification outside the UK) with ideally 3-5 years experience.
- The successful candidate must be proficient in computer use including effective use of Word and Excel. Knowledge of PROPHET is also an advantage.
- The successful candidate should be familiar with Solvency II and have experience in some or all of the following. Coordinating the calculation of Technical Provisions, determining Solvency Capital Requirements, reviewing underwriting policies and reinsurance arrangements and contributing to the effective implementation of risk management systems.
The ideal candidate would be able to
- Work unsupervised on tasks assigned to them after an initial briefing of the task required
- Demonstrate strong communication skills in order to communicate requests or results to other team members and external clients
- Demonstrate good people management skills
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritise workload and work to tight deadlines
- Be capable of helping to develop new clients
If you would like to apply for the position of Senior Manager – Actuarial Insurance, please click apply and upload your up to date CV.
Apply for Actuary
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly