Capital Actuary Job
Are you an experienced actuarial professional with a passion for capital and risk management? Join the team at MPS, the worlds leading Medical Defence Organisation, and be part of a transformative journey that will shape the future of the capital function.
At MPS we have a vision to cultivate a culture of risk and capital awareness across the organisation. We believe that decision-making should be driven by capital considerations, maximising the value of the capital model outputs. By joining us, you will play a crucial role in informing business decisions, ensuring they are economically sound and in the best interest of our members.
Our mission is to enhance the capital function and we need your expertise to help us achieve it! To drive this transformative change, we are seeking a Capital Actuary and a Capital Actuarial Analyst. When you join us, you will have a direct impact on capital modelling and the investment, pricing and reinsurance decision-making processes. Utilising your valued expertise, you will educate the wider business on the importance of capital in decision-making, accelerating our progress and enabling us to realise our mission.
This is a unique opportunity to make a difference without the constraints of working in a regulated environment as MPS are not an insurance company, and all benefits of MPS membership are discretionary. So, if you are someone who connects with our values, embraces change and is hungry to get involved and make a difference, apply now to join our growing team.
- Deliver the annual capital assessment for MPS discretionary business. This will include delivering reports and explaining results, performing model validation and continuing to develop and enhance the capital model.
- Provide capital estimates and insights to support decision-making by interacting across MPS. This will include working with underwriters, pricing and reserving, financial planning, risk management, claims and reinsurance.
- Provide support as required on capital modelling business and be a company expert on all matters related to capital modelling.
- Provide technical leadership to the Actuarial team in capital modelling, identifying learning opportunities and supporting up-skilling that enhances departmental resilience.
- Ensure appropriate controls are performed and documented to manage the risk within the capital modelling process.
- Lead on the capital modelling element of MPS projects.
- Support the continued evolution of embedding capital in decision making at MPS.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for a qualified actuary with experience working in a general insurance environment. You will have a background in capital modelling, with expertise in building, running and validating models. You will also be adept at writing actuarial reports and presenting results to senior stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will have some Lloyds of London experience and/or experience in modelling investment risk. At MPS, we use the Moody's ESG, so experience using this software would be an added benefit.
As an analytical thinker, with exceptional problem-solving skills, we know you will thrive in this Capital Actuary role. Were looking for an effective communicator and a keen collaborator, as you will work with various stakeholders across MPS.
Your ability to embrace change and your drive to continuously develop and progress will be highly valued in our dynamic work environment. If you have a passion for sharing knowledge, coaching and inspiring junior colleagues to achieve their full potential, this role could be perfect for you.
An added bonus would be having knowledge of SQL, R or Python and, we use ReMetrica as the platform for our capital model, so having experience using this would be the cherry on top!
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, and we encourage you to apply even if you feel you do not match 100% of the technical requirements.We celebrate diversity, promote inclusivity and strive to create a work environment which ensures everyone can be heard.
- Up to 15% discretionary annual bonus
- 11% pension contribution (3% from you, 8% from us optional additional matched 3% contributions, e.g. 6% from you, 11% from us)
- 25 days annual leave plus flexible bank holidays (option to buy/sell 5 days)
- Private Medical Cover
- Healthcare cash plan
- 6x salary death in service
- Paid volunteering day
- A personal GP service enabling you to get a video consultation with an NHS-registered, private GP
- Employee Assistance Programme
- A range of shopping discounts from major high-street retailers
At MPS, we are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce, and therefore welcome applications from individuals who may benefit from flexible working arrangements. We know flexibility is important to people and at MPS we want you to have the best work-life balance possible.
About the Company
The Medical Protection Society Ltd (MPS) is the worlds leading protection organisation for Doctors, Dentists and healthcare professionals. We protect and support the professional interests of almost 300,000 members around the world.
We are a not-for-profit organisation, meaning our members subscriptions are either invested into bettering the organisation, our employees and our products, or kept safe should our members require support for complaints or claims arising from professional practice.
Our philosophy is to support safe practice in medicine and dentistry by helping to avert problems in the first place. We also actively campaign for regulatory and legal reforms that benefit members and the wider healthcare professions.
To do this, we need colleagues who are trusted and supported to deliver their best work, whether that be through leadership development, fully-funded training courses or peer-to-peer support. We want colleagues to feel empowered to deliver positive change, display ambition to push themselves and be determined when faced with a challenge, whilst ensuring our members best interests are at the core.