The BWCI Group was established in 1979 and is the largest firm of actuaries and consultants in the Channel Islands. It is owned by the BWCI Partnership and currently employs around 120 staff. We provide a broad range of employee benefits, investment and insurance services to our clients based in the Channel Islands, the UK and internationally.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in a team providing advice to a diverse portfolio of clients. The role combines technical oversight with board level exposure and the scope to lead business development initiatives both locally and internationally. The right candidate will be ambitious and motivated, with the view to ultimately becoming a Partner within the BWCI Group.
The duties of this role include but are not limited to:
- Be responsible for ensuring the quality and timeliness of the delivery of insurance consultancy services. (Clients comprise a wide range including life insurance, life reinsurance, general insurance, captive other projects. Clients are based in Guernsey, Jersey, Malta, Gibraltar and the UK.)
- Representing the firm professionally and effectively with clients and to maintain a high standard whether by phone, in writing or in person.
- Being responsible for the review of checked work and to provide checking of (particularly more complex or new) work of other team members in the Insurance Actuarial department.
- Providing input into insurance related projects and processes including product development and process improvement.
- Being responsible for the development and maintenance of computer models used within the Insurance Actuarial department.
- Assisting in the training of the team.
- Developing appropriate formats for ad hoc reporting and other consultancy services. Providing support and guidance to team members in the production of such reports.
- Being active in maintaining a sound understanding of current insurance issues.
- Contributing insurance articles for publication.
- Supporting the development of the insurance consultancy business in existing and new markets.
- Maintaining good relations with other departments.
- Any other work-related instructions requested by their supervisor.
- Maintaining an appropriate actuarial qualification.
Qualifications and Experience
- The successful candidate must be a Fellow of the Institute or Faculty of Actuaries (or equivalent qualification outside the UK) with ideally 2-3 years experience.
- The successful candidate must be proficient in computer use including effective use of Word and Excel, Powerpoint. Knowledge of PROPHET and/ or a statistical programming language such as R or Python would be an advantage.
The ideal candidate would be able to
- work unsupervised on tasks assigned to them after an initial briefing of the task required
- demonstrate strong communication skills in order to communicate requests or results to other team members and external clients
- demonstrate good people management skills
- demonstrate the ability to prioritise workload and work to tight deadlines • demonstrate a commitment to continuous learning and development • Be capable of helping to develop new clients