Bolton Associates are working with a global re/ insurance specialty business which is looking for a qualified GI actuary to join their Luxembourg office as their Key Function-Holder role of the Head of the Actuarial Function of their European business to support the European growth of the International Insurance business, which includes Property, Energy, Marine, Aviation, Professional Lines, Cyber, Financial & Political Risk, General Liability, Crisis Management, Healthcare, and Accident & Health.
The role can be done on either a part-time or full-time basis. The part-time role would focus on the regulatory side of the role whereas a full-time candidate would split their time between this and supporting across the pricing as well.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the calculation of technical provisions and compare best estimates against experience;
- Ensure the appropriateness of the methodologies and underlying models used as well as the assumptions made in the calculation of technical provisions;
- Assess the sufficiency and quality of the data used in the calculation of technical provisions;
- Inform the administrative, management or supervisory body of the reliability and adequacy of the calculation of technical provisions;
- Author the Actuarial Function Reports in accordance with Solvency II (technical provisions, underwriting policy, adequacy of reinsurance arrangements, contribution to risk-management);
- Present the above to management and board committees for review, challenge, and approval where necessary;
- Represent the Actuarial Function in meetings with the regulator, the Commissariat aux Assurances, as required;
- Build and maintain pricing tools across all lines of business, working in close collaboration with the International underwriters and the pricing team, as well as colleagues in other divisions where appropriate;
- Apply actuarial pricing techniques to individual account analysis and prepare presentations and quantitative exhibits for management and underwriters;
- Identify and assess strategic growth opportunities by working alongside the underwriting teams to better understand the current portfolio against the market portfolio;
- Work alongside the reserving, capital, and risk management functions in support of a consistent actuarial approach across the business, particularly in respect of underwriting parameters and rate monitoring;
- Use and develop tools for the monitoring and reporting of rate change and rate adequacy;
- Provide insight to the business planning process from a pricing perspective by deriving best estimate loss ratios and quantifying the impact of relevant underwriting actions;
- Apply actuarial, financial, valuation, and analytical skills to various client situations and practice disciplines including detailed reviews of financial statements, preparation of complex cash flow projections, and modelling of business processes;
- Provide portfolio analyses including insights into profitability, volatility, and reinsurance placements;
- Perform technical, industry, and company research using publicly available information;
- Keep abreast of industry developments and trends that could impact the company;
- • Develop and maintain productive working relationships with client personnel;
- • Other ad hoc duties as required.
The role is to be based in Luxembourg and therefore candidates need to be happy to be based here for at least 50% of their time.