WPA are a growing not for profit private medical insurer located in the South West. As a not-for-profit organisation we are not conflicted between shareholder returns and long-term investment decisions. Consequently, we continuously invest in our people, processes and technology. Our objective is to provide an excellent service to our customers, providing a compelling proposition that differentiates us from our competitors. This objective has been successful and as a result we have been in business for over 120 years. In 2022 we won awards as health insurer of the year and as employer of the year in the region. Our ethos is to treat others as we would wish to be treated ourselves, this includes our customers, employees and our local community.
Head of Pricing - Pricing Actuary
WPA is a leading UK specialist insurer based in the South West. We are currently seeking an experienced pricing actuary to enhance our pricing team. We are looking for someone who can leverage our recent investment in data infrastructure to advance our strategic price modelling.
It is an exciting opportunity to reinvent our approach to pricing that will enable us to make more strategic, data enabled pricing decisions. We are looking for someone who is not afraid to challenge the status quo and someone willing to bring the latest techniques and technology.
You will report directly to the Chief Underwriting Officer and Chief Risk Officer and will have a number of other stakeholders on the Board and in our wider Leadership Team. You will provide your expert opinion to the Leadership Team on how to achieve our strategic goals, underpinned by analysis using internal and external data.
The role is a critical part of the next stage in WPA’s exciting evolution. The ideal candidate will want to work with our vibrant team and interact as much as possible with all parts of the business to maximise their impact.
Preferred Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a self-starter with experience in developing pricing models;
- Have recent experience working within the UK health insurance sector and knowledge of pooled risk and no claims discount pricing;
- Have experience in machine learning to develop predictive pricing models;
- Understand and develop market/risk and demand models;
- Use embedded value models to aid long term decision making;
- Be capable of working with people at all levels and developing strong relationships across the business;
- Be a clear communicator with the capability of simplifying the complex.
Part-time hours would be considered for the right candidate.
An excellent remuneration package is available.
For further details please contact Peter Venables, WPA’s Chief Risk Officer; Peter.Venables@wpa.org.uk.
Closing date for applications is 3 July 2022.