Do you have experience of, and expertise in statistics, programming and machine learning?
We have an excellent opportunity for a talented, highly numerate individual to join us as a Medical Longevity Modeller.
Reporting to, and working closely with, the Longevity Science Director, the role will contribute to the ongoing development and implementation of our medical modelling capability, focusing particularly on evidence gathering and applying the model to set mortality assumptions commercially.
The role will maintain and help develop L&G propriety medical longevity model for forecasting and underwriting capability, and would be suitable for someone with appropriate experience of, and expertise in, statistics, programming, machine learning or other relevant medical mortality modelling.
What will you be doing?
- Responsible for modifying the model by coding the inputs, equations and outputs. Advanced VBA is essential.
- Responsible for instructing other coders on new developments to be implemented in L&G’s automated underwriting engine for customers, through an existing process.
- Documentation of any changes for governance and audit.
- Maintain, develop and communicate reliable processes within company’s risk management framework.
- Collaborate in testing of new and routine developments.
- Assist in the parameterisation of medical modelling for each key disease group.
- Have a good grasp of inputs, mathematical equations, computer programming and outputs of an existing medical longevity model.
- Assist in documenting sources of evidence to the model inputs and risk selection process as defined by LGRR medical underwriting team.
- Support the investigation and evaluation of external mortality/longevity data sources, and help report on these analyses for use in longevity risk assessment.
- Ensure the evidence for medical modelling is appropriately documented, with limitations noted. Examples of evidence may include statistics, analyses of raw data, scientific literature, etc..
- Analyse mortality experience of customers by medical conditions and present results through reports or slides, using L&G propriety customer database.
What are we looking for?
- Advanced VBA, programming or Excel skills.
- Advanced statistical programming knowledge, such as R.
- Good grasp of interpretation of statistical analyses, e.g. the roles of multi-factorial models, various measurements of risks such as hazard ratio, etc..
- Database management skills, e.g. SQL or other packages.
- Experienced in understanding the applicability and relevance of medical mortality data and research to modelling mortality by disease, including severity and co-morbidity will be beneficial.
- Knowledge of statistical methodologies in a health or mortality analytics would be favourable.
- Ability to understand the purpose of the parameters in mathematical models and update the parameters.
- Ability to plan and organise own tasks setting out purpose, objectives, milestones, deliverable dates etc..
- Ability to understand the tasks required. Work effectively with team members, external suppliers and other key stakeholders.
As a company, to be one of the world's largest Asset Managers, homebuilders, pension providers and insurances brands, we are diverse by our very nature. And we're a company that wants to use our diversity and influence to make society better in the long term - for everyone. To do this we need to be a company that welcomes everyone, where everyone can succeed. That means we're committed to building an inclusive culture in L&G where we can all perform at our best, no matter who we are, what we do or where we do it.
Whatever your role, we reward ability, performance and attitude with a package that looks after all the things that are important to you. Our employees have a wide range of benefits including a generous pension scheme, life assurance, 25 days’ holiday, private medical insurance, discretionary performance related bonuses, paid overtime, a variety of share schemes, discounts at both a huge range of high street stores and our own great products. Your hard work will be rewarded when you join us