The Faculty of Science and Engineering is seeking to appoint a motivated individual to lead the further development of our Actuarial Science programmes and module portfolios, which are based in the Department of Mathematics.
Our BSc in Actuarial Science degree is accredited by the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA), with graduates able to obtain up to six exemptions from IFoA professional examinations. A new postgraduate MSc in Actuarial Science has also recently been launched.
The successful candidate will
- Act as Programme Director for the BSc and MSc Actuarial Science programmes, leading their management and delivery. These programmes are delivered through a collaboration between the Department of Mathematics and the School of Management.
- Maintain the alignment between modules and the IFoA Core Principles syllabus.
- Act as the conduit between the Department of Mathematics and the IFoA and be responsible for all issues pertaining to accreditation, exemptions and reporting.
- Engage with the professional community and lead the promotion of the ‘Year in Industry’ variant of the BSc Actuarial Science programme.
Please note that there is one position available and either a Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor will be appointed. When applying please specify which role (the Senior Lecture or Associate Professor) and which academic pathway you are applying for:
1. Enhanced Research
2. Innovation & Engagement
We welcome candidates with experience in Actuarial Science in the Higher Education sector or the actuarial profession. We aim to recruit a colleague with standing as a Fellow/Associate of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA) with strength in either the academic or commercial environments.
The University is committed to supporting and promoting equality and diversity in all of its practices and activities. The Department of Mathematics, as part of the Computational Foundry, holds an Athena SWAN Bronze Award, and we are one of only 20 universities across the UK, and the only university in Wales, to hold a University-level Athena SWAN Silver award. We strongly encourage applications from female applicants, individuals from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds, and other traditionally under-represented parts of the community. Appointments will always be made on merit.
- A PhD in a relevant subject area or a degree and relevant professional experience or qualification.
- Recognised teaching qualification that would lead to Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (HEA) or a commitment to achieve this
- Fellow/Associate of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries
Please see the attached job descriptions for full details of the duties and person specification for each role/pathway.
The Department of Mathematics at Swansea University is one of the founding departments of the University, which celebrated its centenary in 2020. Since September 2018, the Department has been based in the new £31M purpose-built Computational Foundry, the home of Mathematics and Computer Science.
Further details about the Department and the University can be found at the following web links:
Informal enquiries are welcome and should be directed to Professor Vitaly Moroz, Head of Mathematics, email@example.com
Applicants are asked to provide a completed online application providing evidence against the essential criteria in the recruitment documentation. Applicants should also attach to the application:
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Statement detailing your experience within the Actuarial profession;
- Statement detailing your aspirations to the development of our Actuarial Science programmes and module portfolios.
Please ensure you specify which role and pathway you are applying for.