Barnett Waddingham is a partner-led business which prides itself in providing straightforward and well communicated actuarial advice. This philosophy means that we are dependent on talented and well-trained employees who enjoy working in a closely knit and friendly organisation. Our growth has been significant since our creation in 1989. We aim to continue this growth by recruiting people who share in Barnett Waddingham’s values.
Our Insurance and Longevity Consulting (ILC) Team provides consultancy services to a range of insurance and non-insurance clients. Our clients range from large multinationals and small niche insurers to regulators and the Actuarial Profession, based across a range of territories. The ILC Team is largely based in London and has around 40 staff of which half are qualified actuaries.
Barnett Waddingham is committed to providing the best possible service to all of its clients. We operate in a friendly and supportive environment. Our team consists of talented, motivated and enthusiastic individuals who support the development of our business.
We are looking to recruit a qualified actuary to work in our Longevity team. The Longevity team provides advice to holders, buyers and sellers of longevity risk. This is often in the form of project-based assignments for insurance companies, reinsurance companies, investment banks, international governmental organisations and pension schemes. We also provide ongoing services to the Continuous Mortality Investigation (CMI), which has been a major client for over 30 years. Our role for the CMI includes data collection and analyses for the CMI life insurer and SAPS investigations and supporting the development of the CMI Mortality Projections Model.
To be considered you will be a FIA qualified (or equivalent) with experience of working within the life/protection insurance sector. We are particularly interested in candidates with a background in protection products and, preferably, with experience of undertaking mortality and morbidity experience analyses and assumption-setting.
The expectation is that you will assist with project-based assignments and take on the role of CMI Committee Secretary (lead support) to one (or more) of the CMI life insurer investigations, specifically Assurances and/or Income Protection. CMI Committee Secretaries play a key role in helping to formulate objectives, setting budgets and delivering on those objectives, including proactively seeking data needed to undertake the work.
You will also enhance the overall ILC team, with opportunities to work with the Life team on projects relating to mortality, morbidity and protection products.
Other attributes we are looking for:
- Ability to lead technical actuarial work and oversee development of software/models.
- Good communicator, strong written communication; to draft client reports (including CMI Working Papers) and meeting papers, and verbal communication; to present at meetings and externally.
- Detail-oriented, yet able to understand and effectively communicate key results.
- Confident in managing both your own work and that of others.
- Ability to take a hands-on approach and aren’t afraid of getting your hands dirty.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Highly organised, you have the ability to work on multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- A team player, with the ability and confidence to liaise and communicate with stakeholders both internally and externally.
- A problem solver, love finding solutions to complex problems.
Does this sound like you? If so, we would love to hear from you!
What We Offer
Barnett Waddingham will provide you with the opportunity to thrive in a growing business with ambitious and exciting future plans, which believes strongly in being supportive, developing its people and offering a good work/life balance. Last year, we were listed in the Sunday Times’ 100 Best Companies to Work For – a fantastic recognition of the hard work and dedication our entire team puts into creating an outstanding workplace culture.
- Your progression: we offer career progression opportunities and a focus on training and professional development to provide you with the necessary tools and skills.
- Wellbeing: employee wellbeing has always been important to us and our approach is to create an environment where individuals will be engaged at work, successful in what they do and able to achieve their full potential, benefiting both their self and the business.
- Benefits package: we offer a great range of employee benefits as we believe it's important individuals are supported in making choices which are flexible enough to meet their needs and help support their wellness.
- WorkSmart: Throughout the lockdowns and beyond, we have recognised that the ways many of our clients and people would like to work will change and have seized this unique opportunity to proactively review and improve the way we work for the better. We recently announced our new flexible working framework, “WorkSmart”, after actively looking at the wider business market to help identify the best ways of working and engaging with our clients and employees to obtain their opinions.
If you would like to work for one of the UK’s leading consultancies at the forefront of insurance, risk, pensions and investment, click to apply now!