3 days left
- Full Time
Would you like to be part of a growing firm where you can make a difference?
Are you driven by client satisfaction and motivated to build strong relationships with clients and team members?
If the answer is yes, we’d love to hear from you!
Our Actuarial Consulting team provides a full range of actuarial services to trustees of defined benefit (DB) pension schemes based on a culture of providing all of our clients with a high quality, professional service through strong personal relationships and tailored solutions. To achieve this - and further support our continued growth as an independent, resilient and evergreen business - we need talented, motivated and enthusiastic people. We are currently looking to recruit Actuarial Technicians in our offices to work within our growing actuarial calculations team. On a day to day basis, the team undertakes calculations on behalf of IFAs, insurers, prospects and existing pension scheme clients using our in-house software.
How we work
As a leading independent UK professional services consultancy, we are free to do the right thing by our clients at all times. We aim to do so through a partnership approach that delivers real value. Our independence and culture empowers us to think freely and advise on solutions based on our clients’ needs rather than proposing solutions based on house standards and products or having chargeable hours targets. Look at what the people who have joined us over the last couple of years have to say:
“I have recently joined Barnett Waddingham, having been in the industry for a long time. I have found the Firm to truly have a strong culture of commitment to excellence, doing the right thing for its clients and pension scheme members, and supporting each other as colleagues. BW is very ambitious to continue the level of growth it has seen in recent years and it is extremely well placed to do so in terms of its clear vision, highly talented individuals, technology, and ability to innovate and invest in the future. People that join us will experience an organisation that is committed to their personal development alongside stimulating and rewarding long term prospects.”
“Barnett Waddingham has a different feel to the other consultancies I have worked for and I have never for one day regretted my move here. They believe if they keep true to their commitment to helping clients and treating their staff well that the success of the business will follow. They value people with diverse skills and understand that some people’s biggest strengths are technical skills whilst others are in consulting client-facing roles. They value both equally for the different benefits these bring.”
You’ll typically report to a line manager but will work with all team members including Associates, Principals and Partners.
The role of an Actuarial Technician is certainly varied with no two days being the same. Some of the more traditional tasks you’ll be involved in will include:
- Calculate complex bulk/individual benefit and actuarial calculations and check more straightforward calculations
- Undertake bulk calculations produced on behalf of IFAs and insurers
- Undertake the bulk of the calculations for an actuarial valuation, including setting up in-house software for client teams to use to present the results to clients
- Assist with developing the firm’s services
You’ll meet a number of different people as part of your day-to-day role and will have the opportunity to work closely with the client-facing Actuarial Consulting team plus our other business areas, such as Investment Consulting and Employer Consulting. There will also be plenty of opportunities to get involved in a wide range of projects – both inside and outside of the actuarial calculations team.
You will ideally be working within an actuarial team with around 2 – 3 years’ experience in DB pensions. You may also be making good progress through the FIA qualification.
You’ll be self-motivated, with a desire to apply and expand your technical knowledge and be able to manage your own workload effectively. The right individuals will have an aptitude and interest in technical skills and working with/developing detailed, well-structured spreadsheets, as well as an eye for detail and previous experience in a similar technical/calculations role. Experience in the use of R and Tableau would also be of benefit.
What’s in it for you?
Barnett Waddingham will provide you with the opportunity to thrive in a growing business with ambitious and exciting future plans, which believes strongly in being supportive, developing its people and offering a good work/life balance. Last year, we were listed in the Sunday Times’ 100 Best Companies to Work For – a fantastic recognition of the hard work and dedication our entire team puts into creating an outstanding workplace culture.
- Your progression: we offer career progression opportunities and a focus on training and professional development to provide you with the necessary tools and skills. We also offer study support for relevant professional qualifications.
- Wellbeing: employee wellbeing has always been important to us and our approach is to create an environment where individuals will be engaged at work, successful in what they do and able to achieve their full potential, benefiting both their self and the business.
- Benefits package: we offer a great range of employee benefits as we believe it's important individuals are supported in making choices which are flexible enough to meet their needs and help support their wellness.
- Diversity: We are committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce where people from all backgrounds, beliefs and perspectives can thrive, feel welcome and develop to their full potential. Our recruitment processes are designed to be fair and consistent and enable candidates to compete on a level playing field.
- WorkSmart: Throughout the lockdowns and beyond, we have recognised that the ways many of our clients and people would like to work will change and have seized this unique opportunity to proactively review and improve the way we work for the better. Through our “WorkSmart” programme, launched in September 2020, we are actively looking at the wider business market to help identify the best ways of working and are engaging with our employees to obtain their opinions. Please do therefore let us know if you are interested in one of our vacancies even if you do not live near the offices listed above.
If you would like to work for one of the UK’s leading consultancies at the forefront of risk, pensions, investment and insurance, click to apply now!
Apply for Actuarial Technician
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly