£49,000 - £91,000 depending on experience + 16% on target bonus up to 32% + 10% Company pension + Flexible benefits
Based Wythall, South Birmingham (B47 6WG)
Helping our customers make the right financial choices as they plan for a better future means that we need to attract, retain and motivate the very best people in the market. We know great people have even great choices when it comes to their career. At Phoenix Group we can offer you a career opportunity second to none with a successful, innovative and growing long-term savings and retirement business. Our people are our most important asset.
We’re currently recruiting for a number of Financial Risk Actuaries to join our Balance Sheet Oversight team in Financial Risk to provide a professional service applying actuarial, technical & business knowledge to support the delivery of informed & effective decision making in order to deliver the company strategy.
These roles have arisen as a result of the re-organisation of the Financial Risk Team and expansion to support the growth of the Phoenix Group. We are looking for actuaries with deep technical knowledge and understanding, a willingness to constructively challenge existing views and the ability to communicate complex ideas succinctly to non-technical audiences.
- Promote effective challenge and informed decision-making on proposals that materially affect the Group’s financial risk profile through agreed support to Senior Financial Risk Actuaries.
- In line with agreed objectives, support oversight of: Balance sheets, including Solvency Monitoring, Capital, Liquidity, Financial Soundness Risks, Insurance and Demographic Risks.
- Deliver assurance reports in line with agreed objectives to support the Group in continuing to operate within its agreed appetites.
- Support delivery of an effective ORSA report for the Group and LifeCos ensuring forward-looking risks are clearly articulated and well understood.
- Lead, develop, coach and mentor actuarial trainees and analysts as required to maximise their contribution and ensure they are fairly rewarded.
- Contribute to the preparation of papers and reports for senior management and executives as required, with suitable supervision.
- Continually look to enhance processes and procedures to deliver effective solutions for the business.
- Provide technical leadership in key areas of expertise and represent business area appropriately within cross divisional projects.
- Apply a high level of knowledge and understanding of technical software, regulation, proposition, systems and processes and changes in the external marketplace as relevant for role.
- Maintaining up to date regulatory, business & professional knowledge in an environment of fast-moving regulatory change.
- Maintaining breadth and depth of technical understanding to meet Continuing Professional Development requirements.
- Applying commercial understanding of the business to ensure financial, business & actuarial advice is aligned with the business needs.
- Communicating complex concepts and recommendations to multiple stakeholders across the business both in the UK and potentially globally.
- Regularly working to defined and tight timescales whilst maintaining professional standards.
- Balancing business demand, issues and risks by applying sound judgement in complex scenarios, often with considerable uncertainty.
What We’re Looking For
- Education - Undergraduate Degree (or equivalent)
- Qualified or Near-qualified Actuary with experience in the life industry
- Strong mathematical / statistical background
- Up to date knowledge of latest industry techniques and practices
- Strong ability to self-manage and prioritise work. Being able to fit ad hoc queries into work, without derailing BAU delivery.
- Understanding of capital management and the SII Internal Model
- Chartered Enterprise Risk Actuary (CERA)
- Own Risk Solvency Assessment experience
What We Offer
Bring your ‘whole self’, skills and dedication to the Phoenix Group and we’ll recognise your effort, support your development and help to drive your ambition. We’ll ensure you’re rewarded for your contribution with a competitive package that includes an attractive pension, annual bonus potential, private medical insurance, generous holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity and adoption leave and a range of other financial services and lifestyle flexible benefits.
Join us and you join a unique organisation. It’s not just the 14 million policyholders we serve, or the £300 billion of assets we look after. Or that we’re a FTSE 100 company that has been listed as one of the UK's Top Employers for nine years running. It’s our talented, inclusive and diverse workforce that makes us a success. We offer flexible working opportunities ensuring we attract and retain the very best of talent. Find out about more about our people’s stories, our values and our commitment to diversity.
Online Interviews and Onboarding
All our interviews, onboarding and new joiners are now managed remotely. We have in place a strong virtual support network to ensure new colleagues are supported and developed as they navigate their first few months with us.
Phoenix Group is a member of the FTSE 100 index and is the UK’s largest long-term savings and retirement business. We specialise in the acquisition and management of Heritage life insurance and pension funds. We’ve businesses in the UK, Germany and Ireland and hold a broad range of both Heritage and Open products split across three key business segments: UK Heritage, UK Open and Europe. Our open business manufactures and underwrites new products and policies to support people saving for their future in areas such as workplace pensions and SIPPs, primary under the Standard Life brand. And we market corporate pension trustee services and manufacture products to be sold under other brands. Did you know Phoenix Life manufactures SunLife’s market leading Guaranteed Over 50’s plan?
We value diversity in our workforce and welcome enquiries from everyone.
Closing date for applications: Friday 14th May 2021.