If you are a part qualified actuary and are looking to join a growing team in either Bristol or Cheltenham, then we'd love to hear from you. We are seeking individuals who are looking to progress in a consultancy career with a view to developing their client skills, as well as technical pensions and actuarial knowledge.
Founded in 1989, Barnett Waddingham has grown to become a leading independent UK professional services consultancy at the forefront of risk, pensions, investment and insurance. We act as a trusted partner for a wide range of clients in both the private and public sectors – this includes almost 25% of FTSE 100 and over 15% of FTSE 350 companies.
Our primary focus continues to be providing the personal, quality, tailored approach that has driven our success and has led to our high level of client retention. We do not believe that there is a ‘one size fits all’ solution – you shouldn’t expect a standard tick box response. We are free to recommend tailored solutions and impartial advice in our client's best interests and are always looking to find a better way.
Our services are designed to support trustees and employers by delivering pragmatic advice, which brings clarity to complex issues such as investing assets, de-risking, longevity, risk management and the impact of legislative changes.
- You will be making good progress through your FIA/FAA exams
- You will have strong IT skills to perform all aspects of work efficiently
- Excellent project management/time management skills
- Good networking skills with the ability to build strong, effective client and team relationships
- Excellent communication skills
- You must be able to demonstrate being able to provide comprehensive and comprehensible advice on time and within budget
- You will have strong technical knowledge
- Be somebody that identifies opportunities to implement efficiencies and embrace new initiatives
About the role:
Responsibilities will typically fall mainly under the Actuarial and Employer Consulting business areas, but can include others from time to time. Tasks may include but are not limited to:
- Calculating both complex individual member calculations and also calculations for an actuarial valuation
- Design and management of surveys using statistical techniques in order to analyse and interpret the quantitative data collected
- Use a variety of techniques and theoretical principles to establish probability and risk in respect of areas such as pensions
- Reviewing draft client reports and advice
- Draft member communications
- Working with client account managers to assess the objectives and requirements of the organisation seeking advice
- General consultancy, dealing with clients’ and third party telephone queries and day to day correspondence providing technical advice where needed
- Attend client meetings and take an active role where applicable
- Client management, taking responsibility for allocation and completion of work, and meeting deadlines, working directly with senior members of the client teams
- Understand the calculation of Pension Protection Fund levies and provide advice on ways to reduce the levy
- Production of company accounting disclosures
- Work with Business consultants to lead technical elements of data analytic projects
What's in it for you
- Working for a company listed as being in the Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For 2020
- A comprehensive study support package
- A competitive (discretionary) annual bonus which has been paid out every year since BW's inception in 1989.
- A set of core benefits paid for by BW including life assurance, group income protection, private medical cover and 25 days holiday per year
- A generous pension scheme – we contribute 8% from day one of your employment
- A comprehensive range of voluntary benefits to suit your age and lifestyle including holiday trading, tech scheme, cycle to work scheme, dental cover, healthcare cash plan, health assessments, critical illness cover, extension of private medical cover for family, extension of life assurance for partners, interest-free season ticket loan, dining card with discounts of up to 50%, give as you earn to your favourite charity, gym membership, travel insurance and a broad range of discounts at hundreds of retailers including fitness centres, travel and leisure companies.
- Career progression opportunities and a focus on training and professional development.
- Fresh fruit and hot and cold drinks provided free of charge
- Sports and social clubs and groups
- Dress-down Fridays
- 1 paid volunteering day per year
- Match-funding for individuals raising money for a recognised charity
Values at Barnett Waddingham
Our values are important to us and we want them to be important to you too: Principled, Quality, Partnership and Respect.
Wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham
Employee wellbeing has always been important to Barnett Waddingham and we believe that wellbeing at work is an awareness of where issues can arise and balancing the needs of employees and the business. We have a number of programmes to support wellbeing at Barnett Waddingham.
Diversity at Barnett Waddingham
We want to have a diverse and inclusive workforce as we believe that it will provide us with high performing teams that will be the driving force behind our continued success.
Corporate Social Investment at Barnett Waddingham
As a firm, we recognise that we have an impact that goes beyond our core activities.
Our corporate social investment programme is an integral part of what we do and is focused on ensuring that our overall impact is a positive one.