Actuarial Consultant (GI)
Barnett Waddingham is the UK’s largest independent provider of actuarial, administration and consultancy services. The firm comprises 68 partners and over 880 employees including more than 125 actuaries spread across seven offices throughout the UK. We were founded in 1989 and our business has grown predominantly through referrals from our clients and professional contacts.
Our Insurance Consulting Practice provides consultancy services to the General and Life insurance markets. Our clients range from large multinationals and small niche insurers to regulators and the Actuarial Profession, based across a range of territories. The Insurance Practice is based in London and have 20 staff of which eight are qualified actuaries. The team is led by four Partners with three Associates.
Barnett Waddingham is committed to providing the best possible service to all of its clients. We operate in a friendly and supportive environment. Our team consists of talented, motivated and enthusiastic individuals who support the development of our business.
We are looking for a nearly/newly qualified actuary to join our General Insurance team at the Consultant level.
- Producing year end technical provisions and standard formula Solvency Capital Requirement (SCR) for various clients
- Review of key assumptions used in the SII technical provisions and SCR calculations
- Providing technical support to our own proprietary SCR standard formula software, SIIMPLIFY
- Reviewing and performing checks around data and information provided for technical provisions to ensure the accuracy and completeness, prior to use
- Review or produce Solvency II quantitative reporting templates
- Drafting actuarial function reports
- Working with clients to continually enhance data quality as required under SII
- Enhance existing reserving process or software as and when necessary
- Attend client meetings with Partner(s)
- Keeping abreast of changes in SII regulation and their potential impact on the technical provisions and standard formula Solvency Capital Requirement
- Any other reasonable task as advised from time-to-time
- Support, Implement and Maintain Information Security procedures and activities in accordance to Barnett Waddingham’s Information Security Policy
Experience and qualifications
- At least two years of experience working on Solvency II technical provision submissions and a strong knowledge of SII guidance is necessary.
- Minimum three years of general insurance experience.
- Full actuarial qualifications preferred (FIA).
- Strong ability to interact with other disciplines.
- Project management and organization skills are essential.
- Other programming skills, particularly R or Python, would be a positive.
- Reserving experience is essential.
- Proven ability to work under time pressure without compromising quality.
- Detail-oriented, yet able to understand and effectively communicate key results to both actuaries and non-actuaries.
- Occasional travelling may be required