6 days left
- Full Time
We recruit the best individuals with the potential to be the future influencers in our business. We are looking for individuals who are keen to learn from our team and develop within a busy and successful organisation. These individuals should be intelligent, innovative and motivated to make an impact which could lead to further opportunities in our award winning organisation. You should be making good progress through your professional exams with 2 to 3 years experience in a similar role/environment.
You should enjoy solving complex problems and be interested in the financial services and pensions industry and the areas affecting it. You will be well organised and proactive, calm under pressure and able to communicate well at all levels (both written and verbally).
You will enjoy working in a challenging environment in which you can develop both personally and professionally. You should be able to demonstrate a conscientious approach to your work and exhibit exceptional attention to detail. You will be an individual who is great at working with people and knows how to interact in a professional environment and can deliver to the requirements of our high performing culture.
You will be commercially astute and aware of issues relevant in the role of a Pensions Actuary and able to deliver to the demands of the changing environment.
Spence & Partners (Spence) was established in 2000 and is a privately owned UK firm of actuaries, pension consultants, pension scheme IT specialists and administrators. Spence has offices in, Belfast, Glasgow, Bristol, Manchester and London, and clients throughout the UK and Ireland.
We are part of an integrated group of companies that includes Dalriada Trustees Limited (Dalriada), a leading independent trustee, and Veratta Limited, a data management, information security, software development and IT support business also in the pensions and financial services industry.
The business is based on a culture which aims to provide all of our clients with a high-quality professional service through strong personal relationships.
We believe in empowerment, and expect our colleagues to thrive in an environment of ownership where they quickly excel and gain recognition.
About the role and responsibilities:
Working within our Actuarial team you will exposed to a wide variety of work and responsibilities:
- Using your pension knowledge and technical skills to deliver a high quality service to our clients primarily on DB pension related issues.
- Taking on a wide-ranging portfolio of work while developing client exposure and business skills
- Working within the wider multi disciplinary team, maintaining regular contact with internal colleagues.
- Contributing significantly to the delivery of projects and/or overseeing a number of smaller projects.
- Mentoring and developing less experienced members of the team
- Use mathematical modelling techniques and statistical concepts to determine probability and assess risks and analyse statistical data.
- Prepare presentations, reports, valuations, with accuracy for limited review by quality checkers.
- Ability to effectively present and communicate actuarial information, explaining their implications to wider team and clients effectively and coherently.
- Develop relationships with clients and third parties, including investment managers, financial directors and external stakeholders and third party administrators.
- Adheres to and drives where relevant robust governance on all activity, with fit for purpose policy and procedures implemented and continually reviewed.
- Ensure client expectations are managed; project work and tasks are completed on time, within budget and maintain a high level of utilisation and billable hours.
You will work closely with our qualified actuaries and the Directors of our Business.
Essential Criteria for the role:
- 2:1 or above in a relevant degree.
- GCSE and A Level Maths Grade A or above
- 2-3 years experience in a similar role advising clients.
- Making good progress through the Actuarial Professional exams.
- Evidence of proactive extra curricular learning and engagement in chosen career path.
- Excellent knowledge of computerised systems e.g. Microsoft Office/Windows applications, in particular Excel.
Working hours, Monday to Friday, 37.5 hours per week. Additional Hours will be required from time to time to meet the needs of the business and delivery to clients.
There is a three month probationary period from commencement of employment.
As part of the pre-hire process the successful candidate will be subject to reference checking security vetting.
Closing Date for the role: Friday 2nd June 2017
Spence & Partners is an equal opportunities employer.
Apply for Part-Qualified Actuary
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly